Communities in Schools of the South Plains depends upon hundreds of community volunteers who serve as tutors, mentors and role models for young people. The spirit of volunteerism is essential for any community-based program. Volunteers at Communities in Schools help forge the vital one-on-one relationships that connect with kids and make a lasting impact in their lives.
In the words of Communities in Schools’ founder Bill Milliken: “Programs don’t change kids – relationships do.”
Getting involved is simple and can be the most powerful catalyst to change!
CURRENT VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES:
• 10TH ANNUAL PEACE.LOVE.MUD VOLLEYBALL TOURNAMENT/FUNDRAISER
May 12, 2018, at 2614 FM 1585 (130th & University Ave.) – Volunteers are needed for set-up/ tear-down, referee duties, and other tasks.
• Communities in Schools of the South Plains is in need of a volunteer to come in 1 – 2 days per week to assist with general office work such as filing and creating spreadsheets, event planning activities, and assisting with keeping the organization’s social media pages and website up-to-date.
• CHESS CLUB VOLUNTEERS – various campuses, dates, and times available.
• COMMUNITY YOUTH DEVELOPMENT (CYD) PROGRAM (79403 & 79415 Zip Codes)
Mentors needed for at-risk students, ages 10 – 17. The purpose of the CYD program is to prevent juvenile crime by helping youth make positive choices.
• CORONADO HIGH SCHOOL (4910 29th Drive, Lubbock):
SAT/ACT Tutors – Mondays from 4:00 – 4:45 pm.
Math Tutors – Subjects include algebra, geometry, calculus, and physics. Day/time TBD based on volunteer’s availability.
• LUBBOCK-COOPER MIDDLE SCHOOL (16302 Loop 493, Lubbock)
STAAR Tutors – Volunteers are needed on Fridays from 12:25 – 1:25 pm to help students prepare for STAAR Testing.
• LUBBOCK HIGH SCHOOL (2004 19th Street, Lubbock)
Chess Club – Volunteers needed to help with Chess Club on Thursday afternoons from 4:00 – 5:30 pm.
College Tutors – Tutors needed to help prepare students at Lubbock High School for college. Subjects include, but are not limited to, Chemistry, College Algebra, English, and ACT/SAT prep. Volunteers can choose to tutor students before school, during lunch (11:46 am – 1:16 pm), and after school on Tuesdays.
• MONTEREY HIGH SCHOOL (3211 47TH Street, Lubbock):
10th Grade Geometry Tutor – Day/time TBD based on volunteer’s availability.
Anime Club – The Anime Club will meet after school on Wednesday afternoons bi-weekly or monthly.
• O.L. SLATON MIDDLE SCHOOL (1602 32nd Street, Lubbock)
Dream Center – Communities in Schools has partnered with the Dream Center to provide fun, educational activities for students at O.L. Slaton Middle School and are in need of volunteers to help with these events. Activities will take place Monday – Friday from 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm.
Global Citizens Group – The group includes exposure to the International Cultural Center at Texas Tech, monthly cultural themes, worldly food samples, etc. Volunteers are needed to share their global diversity with middle school students.
• SLATON HIGH SCHOOL (105 N. 20th Street, Slaton)
Algebra I Tutor – Tutoring sessions will take place during the “Power Hour” of 12:14 – 1:14 pm. Day(s) to be determined based on volunteer availability.
• WESTWIND ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (6401 43rd Street, Lubbock)
Buddy Day – Volunteers are needed to help run fun stations during Buddy Day on
Friday, May 25, 2018. There are two shifts available: 9:00 – 11:00 am or Noon – 2:00 pm.
• INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES ALSO AVAILABLE
ALL VOLUNTEERS, MENTORS, AND INTERNS MUST PASS A
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK
Download and complete the following three forms and email, fax, mail, or hand deliver to:
Jennifer Wall, Director of Development
1946 Ave Q, 3rd Floor, Lubbock, TX 79401